Where can I go from Your
Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?
-Psalm 139:7
Today marks one month of my Parisian adventure. Although I
have mostly felt at home here, I’ve felt like I’ve been missing something. You
know that feeling you get when you’re sure you’ve forgotten something but you
can’t quite put your finger on it? Well, I realized that I “left” God under
my pillow in my room in New Jersey (well, that’s how I felt at least).
As with all new places, there are things that I haven’t
really liked about Paris – one of them being the constant and consistent rain.
The day I arrived, the city gave me an awfully wet welcome (merci, Paris. It was fun lugging around seventy
pounds of stuff in the rain), and it has rained almost every day since I’ve been here. I
also like playing a game of “dodgeball” with the puffs of cigarette smoke
constantly trying to smack me in the face (I usually end up losing because, at
every turn, someone is smoking). While
the rain and smoke had been generally persistent, my intimacy with God had been completely irregular, if not non-existent, and this time, it wasn't fault. I was sure of it.
“Father, meet me here,” I’d been asking daily. Just like
the fast-paced, poker-faced Parisians, I thought God was too busy to give me
even a second of His time. “Why isn’t He meeting me here?” Was it a language
barrier? Now that I was suddenly speaking French most of the time, reading
French books, and starting to think in French, did my Heavenly Father not
understand me? I was sure that God was multi-lingual, but maybe He just didn’t take
time to learn French. Or maybe I had overstuffed my suitcase with clothes,
shoes, and knick-knacks, so much so that there was not enough room for Him. I
had brought both my Bibles though. I had even packed three blank 120-page journals for
my quiet time with Him! There was so much space on those blank pages for Him to
fill, why wasn’t He showing up?
Two days ago, the weather changed. No, it didn’t get
sunnier. In fact, it started to snow! Although I was glad that I had escaped
the harsh snowy weather in the north-east region of the USA, I missed looking
out the window and seeing soft snow flurries, something that counterintuitively
made me feel warm. Yesterday, as I was walking home from school in the snow, I
encountered God and was overcome with a joy so overwhelming that I almost cried
in the street. I was looking down (which you should do in Paris to avoid
stepping in dog poop) when suddenly, I heard a whisper of the words “Comme la neige, Je suis là”,
a French phrase which translates to, “Just like the snow, I am here.”
Not only did I feel His presence, I could see it. When I
looked up, I saw that there was snowfall in every area visible to me, obviously.
In this intimate moment between Him and I, I realized that He is here and at
the same time, He is there. He is in the USA, in France, and in Zimbabwe. As I
came to an almost full stop in the middle of the pavement, mind blown by this
“revelation”, I noticed individual snow flurries gently floating, falling, and
clinging to a man’s scarf. At the same time, individual snow flurries were
gently floating, falling, and clinging to my
scarf. As much as God was and is with that
man, He was and is also with me. The snow wasn’t just attaching itself to this man's clothing, it was sticking onto every single person’s clothing, hair, shoes etc. It was everywhere and so was He. It
wasn’t God who needed to meet me in Paris, it was I who needed to meet Him. I
needed to see and feel Him as I had experienced the snow on that day.
I couldn’t figure out why, in the city of the rendez-vous, God wasn’t meeting me. At every corner, there were people
sitting at café’s, having a good laugh (or probably debating aggressively, as
the French often do), and enjoying fellowship with one another. All I wanted
was for God to meet me, not just in a café, but on my way to school, or while I
was doing my grocery shopping. How could he have met me while I was meeting
with thoughts of homework, budgets, the Eiffel Tower (which I haven’t fully
seen yet), and how much I hate that Parisians smoke so much? One thing that
I’ve learned over the years is that God will never impose Himself on people.
Because I was in other meetings, there was no way He could’ve met with me. He's too polite. His
agenda was always clear; it was I who had to make time to meet with Him.
God isn’t limited by space, time or even language but I am
guilty of putting Him in a box built with human restrictions. It’s easy to feel
like He is under a pillow far away, or He has earplugs in and can’t hear you.
But before you accuse Him of missing your meeting, evaluate your thoughts, re-evaluate
them, and then you will probably find that it’s you who is hiding
subconsciously. He is omnipresent. It was on that snowy Tuesday, with a clear
calendar and a clear mind, that I asked God to meet me in Paris and He did.
God truly loves you.
With love,
Mandile.

No comments
Post a Comment