While we do not look at the things which are
seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are
temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
-2 Corinthians 4:18
Welcome to 2017! Glory to God for carrying us
through yet another year. How incredible is He? As we prepare to take on 2017,
I wanted to leave you with this to think about: what is important to you? I
know most of us have set goals for ourselves for this new year and I think it’s
crucial that we keep in mind what’s important to us. I’m not here to tell you
what’s important to you. I’m here to tell you what’s important to me so that
you might be able to remember what’s important to you. As a young woman of God,
what’s important to me is to keep spreading the gospel of God. What’s important
to me is to grow in Christ and to stay grounded in him. So every goal that I
set for myself is centered around being an ambassador of Christ.
For bodily exercise profits a little, but
godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is
and of that which is to come.
-1 Timothy 4:8
When I first saw this verse,
I was taken aback. A lot of us (including myself) set physical goals for
ourselves. Some of us want to lose 10kg, some of us want to “make gainz” (ie. tone and develop muscle) etc. As much as this is an awesome goal
for us to have because we have to be fit and strong if we want to serve God
heartily, I do believe that it is more important that we set spiritual goals.
Just as our bodies need exercise in order to stay healthy, our hearts need
spiritual exercise in order to stay healthy as well. It’s good to workout, just
don’t forget that your body isn’t forever. Your heart, however, is forever so
you have to prepare it for the things that God has in store for you. You have
to exercise your heart for a “healthy” eternal life.
For we know that if our earthly house, this
tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands,
eternal in the heavens.
-2
Corinthians 5:1
I’m sure the next most popular type of goal
that we set for ourselves is financial. We all want to have money. There’s
nothing wrong with that. There is, however, something wrong with making
financial gain our most important goal. We are not on this earth forever and
that means that we will not always have money. Money is temporary, but our home
in heaven is forever. This year, I want to challenge you to think long-term.
Think about how your goals are benefitting your relationship with God, and how
they are helping you to grow spiritually. Maybe having more money will allow
you to finally buy yourself that Bible that you’ve always wanted. Maybe having
more money will allow you to provide for those in need. Think about how your
goals help you to serve the Kingdom of God. Ask yourself, “Is money more
important to me than my relationship with God?”
We are hard-pressed on every side, yet
not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted,
but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.
-2 Corinthians 4:8-9
The above verse really
resonated with me when I first read it. It made me think of all the challenges
with which I was faced in 2016, and how I was able to fight those fights
because I serve a God who gives me strength when I’m in need. In 2017, remember
that you are not alone. You have to fight for what is important to you – ask God
to help you achieve those goals. When it seems like all odds are against you,
remember that you are not crushed, not
in despair, not forsaken and not destroyed. Make this the year that you
work on what is important to you. Make this the year that you purpose to walk
with God.
God truly loves you.
With love,
Mandile.

No comments
Post a Comment